Thursday 18 July 2013

Baby climber

When i was a baby, I don't remember much, if anything, like most in this regard. I vaguely remember my first house at Castlecrag that we lived in, but that was as a toddler.  I have been told by my mother and family that i was good crawler and climber and that before I could walk I would even climb up and out the window, perhaps i was trying to escape from my older brother and sisters, or i was just a natural explorer from an early age. One day I even made it up the road to the butcher's around the corner. I must have looked an odd site as i crawled up the road and then down the main road on the footpath.  The butcher called my mum, who would have come and picked me up and felt quite embarrassed I would imagine, letting her baby crawl around the suburbs.  I wonder what propelled me to do that, I just wanted to look around my neighbourhood, check everything out, see what else there was out there.  I did not want to be confined to a mere house and backyard.
I have memories of our first dog, first firecracker night, or one that i remember fondly.  Sleeping at night with a rocket tucked up under my pillow ready for the big bonfire night, where i could let it off.
When i was a bit older i progressed to climbing trees and rocks and loved to climb up to the top of anything i could find. The parents would worry that I would fall, but i never did and felt confident climbing up any type of tree to it's extremities, in the smallest of branches and nooks.  It was my thing, that i was known for, my sister would sometimes climb as well and we would both be up trees in our yards, or out the back of our place in the bush. It was a great past-time, climbing trees, elevating oneself beyond the mundane boundaries of the ground dwellers below.

No comments:

Post a Comment