Friday 11 October 2013

Fight or Flight response

Yesterday we were going out to dinner and after coming out of the bottle shop and walking down the street a man out of nowhere decided to do a very hard side-kick into the side of a lady's head outside the discount store.  It was early in the evening, still light out in a busy street/walkway and he stumbled back after the kick and initially I thought they must be joking around.  I was going to do something, but my wife said don't do anything, just move ahead, he's probably crazy.  He just followed us for a bit and then moved across to a bench.

It was strange, no one really did anything to stop this guy, he just walked away.  We were all witnesses to something pretty ugly and no one could step in to stop him really.  It was like everyone was thinking the same thing, this guy is probably psychotic and could be capable of anything.  He just hit a women in full view without seeming provocation.  In days gone by a man hitting a women like this would attract severe retribution and perhaps it still should.  My wife was obviously concerned for my safety and she made me question what I should do, change my instincts, which were to do something.

In this particular case, everyone around seemed to be questioning themselves whether or not to do something, some ladies near by at least rang the police straight away to come.  I thought there might be CCTV footage somewhere at least where they would catch the guy.

That was our start to the night out, we then proceeded to dinner to meet friends and told them about our run in.  My friend said straight away I would have bashed the guy "Who does that to a women" he said, and I thought straight away, I wish I had done the same.  I said "Let's go now and find him", "It's probably not too late to find the guy."

Today, I rang the police to find out if it was reported and I was glad to hear the incident was reported and that they did have footage of the incident.  Perhaps some justice will be served after the event, and they said the lady was okay, nothing broken, just a little shaken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment