Tuesday 8 October 2013

Lost in translation - More like totally messed up in translation

My first post was called Greek Grandma, probably not my best post grammatically and most likely why it's meaning and content gets totally messed up during Google translate from English to German then back to English.

Here is an extract from the original post:

"You see i know her Grand daughter, her grand daughter is my wife's  younger sister's child.  My wife's younger sister was married to the Greek Grandmother's son for a while (and she had a child together with him). They have now been apart for a number of years and the Greek Grandma has probably not seen her grandchild for some time. "  ( Note: i have had to change this so it translates better than the original).

This is what it becomes through the Google translate tool:

You see, I know her grand-daughter, her granddaughter, my wife is the younger sister's child. My wife's sister was once the Greek Grandma's son (had a child together) have married and apart for some time and the Greek grandmother probably has not seen her granddaughter for some time.

I was wondering why I had a number of German blog followers, perhaps of the transgender variety given the changed content of this post.  I also wonder now, what the German translation might be of some of my other posts.  I would love to know from a German person if the Google translate tool is accurate in this case and how this post went over with you.

Given the global nature of bloggers and posts, it kind of does make you question what the perception might be when your posts are translated rightly (probably a rare thing) or wrongly and how this could impact your following and in this case potentially the reason for following.  Those Germans must have been thinking this Australian has one crazy messed up family! To those people, I am sorry to disappoint you.

If you are German and you are reading my posts, I would love to hear from you in the comments section if any of what I said has an element of truth or not in regards to how you view these posts in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment