Thursday 31 January 2013

kiddy muggers

A flashback from the past.

It was the early 90's, I awake slowly with the beats penetrating into my head and realise I have been asleep in a club on a fairly comfortable lounge in the corner. I remember vaguely how I got here and wonder what time it is.. judging by the amount of people still in the club it's the wee small hours, 3 or 4am.  I look around to see if can see any familiar faces, not expecting to really.  phheww!! what a night i think to myself, i feel tired and sleepy still and wonder what i might have got up to before crashing in the Patches club.
I decide to head home and realise I have to get one of the night buses home as i don't have enough for a taxi.  I head out of the club and start heading down the street past Hyde Park South.  Half way down the street i sense a group behind is getting closer, it's a group of teens looking like little gangster wannabe's, baseball caps and all, some look really small and young I think to myself.
I sense a possible danger/threat level and see that there is absolutely no-one else around.  I do a quick scan around both sides of the street and the park and can only make out a security guard in the foyer of one of the buildings opposite.
It's not more than a few seconds later, that the group is running and heading towards me.  There is not much i can do, I have no desire to run, they would probably catch me anyway.  One of the bigger youth's has me in a headlock pretty quickly, but he can't be older than 15 I think to myself.  He say's to me "Hand over all your money".  I say bemusedly, tiredly "What if i don't".  Rather than answer in words, he makes the headlock a little tighter.  I am tired and not really happy about this situation i find myself in, I wonder if they have knives and think to myself i could probably take them all on, before thinking of the consequences if that doesn't work out.  I say to them, "I don't have much money, only my bus fare home.  But I'll give you all I have in my wallet".  The bigger youth let's me out of the headlock and I size up the situation and think to myself i can't believe i am getting mugged by kiddies. This is absurd.
I look through my wallet and find around $4 and hand it over to the bigger youth.  "Alright, cya later" I say.  "yeh cya" they say and they all walk off into the Hyde Park South area.  Looking for more suspects, I think to myself, or perhaps it's their home for the night.  I look across the street and stare at the security guard safe and sound in the foyer of his building and wave sarcastically.  "Thanks for helping mate" I think to myself, just what i expected really.
Taxi, it is then.  Oh blow it, it's handover time. Not my night I think to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment