Monday 25 February 2013

split my flares

I would have been 19 or 20/21 and living at home still with my family in Seaforth.  I was seeing these 2 younger local girls a lot, Alison and Sabrina, both 17.  This was in the late 80's somewhere around 1986-1989, the haylcon days, the dance party days.  There was a dance party every second or third weekend at the Hordern Pavillion and other venues around this time and they were massive events.  This one was going to be huge, it had a bit of a 70's retro in a space age feel to it, this particular one.  I needed a pair of white 70's flares and Sabrina's dad came through with a pair, they were probably a size too small and a little tight around the bum, but I went with them. I had a silver shirt and some cool silver jewellery and this pair of space age shoes.  The chicks were done up as well and we all looked cool and groovy man.  We picked up a couple of other friends at the wharf and we all looked a sight.
We hit the manly ferry with our goon bag (white wine cask) and started drinking on the way over to the city, which was a great ritual.
We got to the Hordern and we proceeded to boogie, there was a huge platform stage in the middle of the dance floor with the Saturday night fever flashing coloured lights lighting up our way.  Sabrina and Allison jumped up first and I asked for help to be lifted up as i was not very dexterous in my uber tight white flares. Alison and Sabrina pulled me up and I was still crouched down a bit as I got up and heard a splitting sound emit from downstairs.  It was the flares, i had split my flares man, it was loud and i think i was yelling at Sabrina, "I split my flares" and I was pointing down and laughing.  They both started laughing at me and after we all calmed down, I was asking them what I could do, I was on a big downer and was saying I should just go home, my night was ruined.  These resourceful chicks would have none of that and one of them managed to find a few safety pins.  They must have envisioned that at some stage I would split my too tight flares.
Very carefully, they helped pull the tear in and used the safety pin to keep it all together, the split was at the front of the flares, not around the back, so it kind of looked a bit weird having these 3 large safety pins up the front of my flares.  It did the trick and gave me the confidence to stay and boogie on down, however not as hard and not as down as I would have normally.
Later on that night we ended up in Hyde Park South just lying out on the grass and philosophising and thinking we would just fall asleep under the stars.  We were there around an hour before we took off home, realising that we would wake up in the sun dressed as we were and would have to get home looking like freaks in the light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment