Friday 1 February 2013

Stephen, not his real name

Stephen was a friend we would see out and about, in the city, in the clubs. I can't  remember who met him first, my half Italian girlfriend at the time or me. Possibly while we were both together, he was an unusual guy, he had his own style and way, I would describe him as maybe a mix between hipster ( before they existed) and a hobo.  He was tall and lean and rough around the edges, very much his own person with his own unique take on life.  He had heaps of energy and could just talk and talk.  He told us he was a manic depressive and was on medications for it.  I didn't know to much about it, other than my dad was diagnosed with it when I was around 16.  Most nights when we saw him out and hung out for a while he was manic, to my eyes anyway and he just seemed like a guy with boundless enthusiasm for life but with problems and issues that could surface anytime.  I wondered at the time, if he was also taking other drugs as he seemed very up and down. There was probably a time when I noticed that he was probably hanging around us a little too much and I was a little suss that there was something going on between Julia and him.

We had probably been going out a year or more at this stage and things were not that great anyway.  She lived too far away and we both lived at home and would only see each other on nights out.  I didn't have my own car and it was hard to find alone time. Our alone time sometimes consisted of having wild sex in the toilet of a club or in a station toilet or on the train platform itself.  Often when she would go home on a train from the city I would still go out and often get with other girls.  I kind of knew she was doing the same, there was one time that she had this thing for a guy who was studying medicine and it was very disconcerting. It's hard to watch the one you like have this kind of adoring puppy love for someone and being all flirtatious in front of you.  A friend at the time, was living on the same train line as her and one night he told me on the way home they started kissing.  I knew things were not well and should have ended our relationship sooner.  I was surprised my friend did this to me as it wouldn't have been something I could have done to him. He did say that she initiated it and it wasn't something that he was that into, still didn't shy away from it, did he.

It came to a head one night when my girlfriend's parents had gone away for the weekend and I had booked a room in one of those dive hotels in the city, down the Chinatown end.  We had gone out to a few clubs and ended up back at the hotel room with Stephen in tow.  Not something I had wanted, and she was being a little cagey and Stephen was being vey manic.  I just wanted some old fashioned booty time and was trying to get rid of our friend, who was great company and all, but,wasn't getting the obvious hint what the hotel room was for.  The room was dark and small and the window looked out on a busy city street, it was a crowded room with just the 3 of us cramped inside.  My girlfriend was saying she might go back to her home instead and would get the train with Stephen.  I was feeling very non-plussed with that idea and said so.  it's funny how in these situations you sense something's up before you really know for sure. I for whatever reason was putting up a fight this night and managed to convince her  to stay and got rid of Stephen who was really getting on my nerves now.  I felt like I still really didn't know this guy and that perhaps she  knew him a whole lot more intimately than I did.

When he left at around 2am, we were alone in this darkened hotel room in the dark seedy side of town. The bed was quite small and narrow, we started making out on it and soon had our clothes off and were going for it.  It felt like this,was near the end, because of that we were probably both not that into it it, or into it but elsewhere.  We both had a love of music and clubbing, her song was Teardrops by Womack and Womack. "Teardrops in my eyes, next time I'll be true. Whispers in the powder room! She cries on every tune". Or " footsteps on the dance floor, remind me baby of you".  She would always sy this song reminded her of me, before things started going bad.

The night I thought I was going to have wasn't the night I ended up having.  We slept and when we awoke we went our separate ways, slinking out of the run down hotel into the lightness of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment